4 Small Business Resources in Overland Park
Getting a business up and operating can be a challenge...
We'd know because we're helping Overland Park business daily and especially during Small Business Appreciation Week!
Our Chamber team collaborated to compile a list of free business resources for local firms. These tools are intended to assist small and mid-sized businesses alike in gaining the information, resources, and networking opportunities for a successful business start-up and long-term entrepreneurial success in the ever-growing Overland Park and Kansas City metro. Here are some resources that can be helpful to businesses at all stages:
KCSourceLink the One Stop Shop
KCSourceLink assists aspiring start-ups and established small businesses in Kansas City in find the appropriate business resource to begin, expand, and thrive.
It promotes local stories of "Entrepreneurs in Action," has an excellent online Learning Center, and even a "Shop Local" business directory where you can feature your company. We also recommend you subscribe to the organization’s blog, which includes quality pieces not only from its team but also from local industry professionals.
- Guides on how to start, accelerate, and grow your innovation/business as well as how to advance entrepreneurship
- A Resource Navigator that searches more than 200 business resource organizations in Kansas City to find the right resources for you. Alternatively, KC SourceLink a hotline (816) 235-6500 that helps you navigate to your next milestone.
- Find entrepreneurship classes and networking events in the Kansas City area, organized by more than 100 organizations
Enterprise Center of Johnson County, Home to the Innovation Stage
The Enterprise Center in Johnson County (ECJC) is a non-profit center that offers entrepreneur training, mentorship, and capital connections to Kansas City innovators. The Fountain Innovation Fund (seed), Mid-America Angels Investment Network (angel), Women's Capital Connection (seed), Growth Mentoring Service, and Women's Business Center are all housed at the ECJC. Whether you're just getting started or looking to expand your business, the ECJC is a reliable source for navigating the myriad resources accessible to entrepreneurs and startups.
- Through a personalized team of business experts, executives, and serial entrepreneurs, you can get guidance and create relationships with ECJC’s Growth Mentoring Service
- Entrepreneurship training programs such as bootcamps and founder talks. Bootcamps empower entrepreneurs and investors with the opportunity to learn skills and techniques for expanding their business, such as creating the ideal pitch and attracting media attention. Founder talks unite entrepreneurs around a specific topic to form an environment in which they exchange work experience, discuss relevant information, and inspire others.
- For the past two decades, The Enterprise Center of Johnson County has been recognized as the region’s premier generator of capital connections to early-stage entrepreneurs. The ECJC is also able to connect people to debt financing and micro-loans through a collaboration with Justine Peterson and the Women's Business Center
SCORE Kansas City as an Information Hub
SCORE's Kansas City chapter assists small business entrepreneurs by providing mentors, resources, and field knowledge. SCORE has more than 65 local volunteers and offer free mentoring, local courses, and a comprehensive online resource library. You can also search local mentor profiles to find a mentor who can provide the expertise you require in your present schedule.
- Free mentoring services where you can fill out the mentoring request form, and SCORE will pair you with a mentor and assist you in setting up an appointment.
- Learn from the experts with SCORE’s small business training workshops. SCORE offers interactive instructor-led training courses in a SCORE office or online to help you learn new business strategies.
NetWork Kansas as Statewide Blanket
NetWork Kansas is cultivates resources to develop and expand small businesses in Kansas in promoting an entrepreneurial climate. As a statewide network of non-profit business resources, NetWork Kansas supports entrepreneurs and small business owners in starting and growing successful businesses.
- Free mentoring services where you can fill out the mentoring request form, and NetWork Kansas will pair you with a mentor and assist you in setting up an appointment.
- Capital Loan Programs that match any business need including loans for minority& women businesses, revolving loan funds, and gap financing for start-ups.
- Join your e-community, a commitment to cultivating an entrepreneurial environment by identifying and developing resources to help local entrepreneurs start or grow businesses. Selected communities partner with NetWork Kansas to establish a locally-administered loan fund to assist entrepreneurs with capital, to increase connectivity to resources available to assist entrepreneurs and small businesses, to initiate activities to generate entrepreneurial development, and to participate in a statewide partnership with other e-communities.
Whether its raising capital, training programs, mentorship, or a resource navigator there are plenty of organizations ready to assist small to mid-sized businesses locally. To learn more about these resources and more resources open to business go to our resources page or on website.